Friendship House

My high school offered seniors the opportunity to spend the last three weeks before graduation off campus working as intern to get professional experience before heading off to college. While many of my peers focused on trying to gather new skills, I found that there weren't any options relating to cybersecurity in the area local to the school. Instead, I worked with the school's administration to take on a different kind of project: providing my existing freelance skills for free to a local homeless ministry, Friendship House.


One of the first goals of my project at Friendship House was making modifications to the site that they had been unable to make themselves. Similar to my previous experience, the site was WordPress based, and although the existing theme was responsive and worked well, it was undocumented and used the default bright green. Despite not having access to the server back end, I used WordPress to modify the theme's CSS directly to align the colors and style to that of Friendship House's other materials.

Since a significant portion of the site's traffic came from Friendship House's own employees, they were interested in having quicker access from their mobile devices. To address this need without unnecessary work, I took advantage of iOS and Android's ability to pin website links to the home screen, adding platform-specific graphics to style the pinned icon and loading screens.


Beyond simply modifying the website, a large part of my work was in updating the print graphic style for Friendship House. They had an existing logo they were very happy with, but it was made decades ago and had survived through photocopying and scanning. I used Adobe Illustrator to vectorize the logo and save high-resolution component images so that any future alterations could be made with simpler image-editing software. With the new version of the logo, I set about creating new versions of all printed materials, unifying fonts and styling in addition to replacing logos.

In addition, Friendship House has four posters that are used at fundraising events to communicate the different programs and how they connect. In the process of overhauling those posters, I visited the different locations to figure out how best to communicate the relationships between programs effectively to a wide audience of potential donors. With this information I was able to significantly reduce the clutter on the posters by making explanations more direct and accurate, allowing an increased emphasis on images showing the positive effects of the programs.